Extraordinary Service that feels like Family
Providing Comprehensive Real Estate Services to Home Buyers and Sellers
Introduction to Perry Twp., Ohio
Perry Township is one of the five townships of Lake County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 8,240 people in the township, 6,220 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county along Lake Erie, it borders the following townships:
Name and history
It is one of twenty-six Perry Townships statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Perry is located in Lake County, the smallest county in Ohio, yet ranked 12th in the state with a population of 220,000 residents.
Perry itself has a population of just about 1,200 and covers 2.2 square miles. Perry is located 41.2 miles east of Cleveland and 14 miles from Mentor. Perry is actually divided into three areas, Perry Village, Perry Township, and North Perry Village the majority of the population lives in North Perry Village.
Perry is rich in history, organized into a township in 1815, named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry the hero of the War of 1812. Perry was a producer of many goods including Distilleries, Maple Sugar, and Cheese. In 1861 the nursery industry began in the township and is still a very important industry to Perry today.
Perry has its own public school system and is in one of the highest paying counties of Ohio for school teachers. Perry Public Schools rely strongly on the support from the local community to maintain higher standards of teaching.